jeudi 12 avril 2012

Spring...successes....failures....choices

I trained for a HM...and made it to 9.5 miles, then decided I was bailing on the HM.  Too many tummy troubles while running over 3 or 4 miles.

It's a bittersweet thing, to drop out a month before the HM.  On the one hand, I feel like a quitter, of course.  But on the other hand, a few positives emerged...
1.  I made working out a priority 3x/week for 3 solid months.  Didn't miss one run.  Cut one or two short due to having to pick up or drive a kid somewhere, but it just became understood that Tues & Thurs were "gym days" and that was going to happen.  I am grateful to my kids & husband for supporting me getting healthier, HM or not!
2.  I proved to myself that I can jog for a couple of miles non stop--I am a proud (and uninjured) Gallowalker, I practice running with scheduled walk breaks of a minute (proposed and taught by Olympic marathoner Jeff Galloway).  So I had sort of brainwashed myself that I could not even make it more than 5 or so minutes without a walk break.  Well, mind over matter--blew myself away in February when I ran for 30 minutes straight on a whim, just to see if I could do it.  So you know what?  This Gallowalking actually did build up my endurance!  30 min!  Learned something new and amazing about my what my tired, 40-something body can accomplish and how my mind affects it!
3.  I realized I don't have to prove anything to anyone but me.  A HM is not in my tummy's cards right now, ok.  Now I can seek out shorter races, maybe that local Tri a little voice in my head has whispered about each year when it said, "You should be doing this..."  Maybe a Muddy Buddy...  So new, shorter distance, more diverse opportunities are out there. 

I also entered a 30 Day Shred Challenge on FB.  Yes, again.   I can tolerate Jillian and her torturous ways for about 2 weeks then my ADD kicks in and I can't do it any more!  So I'll try that again.  As long as I am doing SOMETHING to exercise, that is a positive too, right?

Spring has sprung, optimism abounds.  I am blessed to have choices.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire